Definition of stick in one's throat or craw in English:
1Be difficult or impossible to accept; be a source of continuing annoyance.
- One thing that stuck in my throat at Chelsea was young players not realising how privileged they were to be earning huge sums.
- It is not atheists who get stuck in my craw, but agnostics.
- Several things about this turn of events stuck in my craw.
1.1(Of words) be difficult or impossible to say: she couldn’t say “Thank you”—the words stuck in her throat
More example sentences
- We looked around the candle-lit garden, further words sticking in my throat.
- I blinked in response as the words stuck in my throat.
- He wished he could say more, but the words just stuck in his throat.