1Be difficult or impossible to accept; be a source of continuing annoyance.
- One thing that stuck in my throat at Chelsea was young players not realising how privileged they were to be earning huge sums.
- It is not atheists who get stuck in my craw, but agnostics.
- Several things about this turn of events stuck in my craw.
1.1(Of words) be difficult or impossible to say: she couldn’t say “Thank you”—the words stuck in her throat
More example sentences
- We looked around the candle-lit garden, further words sticking in my throat.
- I blinked in response as the words stuck in my throat.
- He wished he could say more, but the words just stuck in his throat.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.