Definition of stickleback in English:
A small fish with sharp spines along its back, able to live in both salt and fresh water and found in both Eurasia and North America.
- Family Gasterosteidae: several genera and species, including the common and widespread three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
- Such video techniques have been particularly effective in female mate choice studies in fishes, including guppies, sticklebacks, and swordtails.
- Although Daphnia are not used by humans as a food source directly, they are involved in many of the foodchains necessary to sustain fish that we consume or use commercially such as sticklebacks, minnows and young Sockeye salmon.
- There are also rudd, bream, eels, gudgeon, crucian carp, tench, minnows, perch, sticklebacks, the odd trout, pike and barbel present.
late Middle English: from Old English sticel 'thorn, sting' + bæc 'back'.
Words that rhyme with sticklebackkickback
Definition of stickleback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia