(also stiff-tailed duck)
A diving duck with a stiff tail of pointed feathers, often held up at an angle.
- Family Anatidae: four genera, in particular Oxyura, and several species, e.g., the ruddy duck
More example sentences
- A couple of years ago, a pair of ruddy duck arrived: small, sexually aggressive stifftail ducks with bright blue bills.
- Some of his books are technical surveys of groups such as owls, hummingbirds, and stifftail ducks.
- Modern authors accept that we are dealing with two species of stifftail in Europe.
Definition of stifftail in:
- The British & World English dictionary