- 1An insect or animal that stings, such as a bee or jellyfish.More example sentences
- Known also as the sea wasp and the marine stinger, box jellyfish have killed about 65 people in the past century.
- On Catalyst you can also meet the amazing Tuatara from New Zealand who is not a lizard and who goes back to the Jurassic and meet stingers, the box jellyfish we talked about on the Science Show in January.
- A few other people were strolling over the sand, but no one was in the water, and for a very good reason: It was March and so the height of the season for box jellyfish, also known as sea wasps, marine stingers, or just stingers.
- 1.1The part of an insect or animal that holds a sting.More example sentences
- Other eusocial animal groups defend themselves with stingers, mandibles, and sharp teeth.
- What's more, the radula, a harpoonlike stinger that delivers the venom, can strike with enough speed and force to pierce a diver's wetsuit.
- I questioned students about parts other than the body and limbs that could be added, briefly demonstrating that tails, horns, ears, claws, stingers and eyes could be fashioned from the newspaper.
- 1.2 • informal A painful blow: he suffered a stinger on his right shoulderMore example sentences
- For the 49ers, the CB suffered a stinger and a knee sprain, and another CB sprained a finger on his right hand.
- He missed spring drills in 2001 because he suffered stingers in his neck last season.
- Broncos MLB Al, the team's leading tackler and lone veteran linebacker healthy, was having an Pro Bowl-caliber season before suffering a neck stinger on Sunday.
- 2 (Stinger) A heat-seeking ground-to-air missile that is launched from the shoulder.More example sentences
- Later, Washington transferred the shoulder-fired, ground-to-air Stinger missiles that lessened Moscow's aerial dominance and contributed to the Soviet withdrawal in 1989.
- Stay at midrange (well away from its feet - they'll squash you like a rogue tick) and aim for the radar-looking thing on its right shoulder with your Stinger missiles.
- With Stinger anti-aircraft missiles launching into the air, tank cannons booming and streaks of tracer bullets crisscrossing your vision, it is both terrifying and exhilarating.
More definitions of stingerDefinition of stinger in:
- The British & World English dictionary