1An insect or animal that stings, such as a bee or jellyfish.
- Known also as the sea wasp and the marine stinger, box jellyfish have killed about 65 people in the past century.
- On Catalyst you can also meet the amazing Tuatara from New Zealand who is not a lizard and who goes back to the Jurassic and meet stingers, the box jellyfish we talked about on the Science Show in January.
- A few other people were strolling over the sand, but no one was in the water, and for a very good reason: It was March and so the height of the season for box jellyfish, also known as sea wasps, marine stingers, or just stingers.
1.1The part of an insect or animal that holds a sting.
- Other eusocial animal groups defend themselves with stingers, mandibles, and sharp teeth.
- What's more, the radula, a harpoonlike stinger that delivers the venom, can strike with enough speed and force to pierce a diver's wetsuit.
- I questioned students about parts other than the body and limbs that could be added, briefly demonstrating that tails, horns, ears, claws, stingers and eyes could be fashioned from the newspaper.
1.2 informal A painful blow: he suffered a stinger on his right shoulder
More example sentences
- For the 49ers, the CB suffered a stinger and a knee sprain, and another CB sprained a finger on his right hand.
- He missed spring drills in 2001 because he suffered stingers in his neck last season.
- Broncos MLB Al, the team's leading tackler and lone veteran linebacker healthy, was having an Pro Bowl-caliber season before suffering a neck stinger on Sunday.
2 (Stinger) A heat-seeking ground-to-air missile that is launched from the shoulder.
- Later, Washington transferred the shoulder-fired, ground-to-air Stinger missiles that lessened Moscow's aerial dominance and contributed to the Soviet withdrawal in 1989.
- Stay at midrange (well away from its feet - they'll squash you like a rogue tick) and aim for the radar-looking thing on its right shoulder with your Stinger missiles.
- With Stinger anti-aircraft missiles launching into the air, tank cannons booming and streaks of tracer bullets crisscrossing your vision, it is both terrifying and exhilarating.
Words that rhyme with stingerbringer, clinger, flinger, humdinger, pinger, ringer, singer, slinger, springer, stringer, swinger, winger, wringer, zinger
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of stinger in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.