Definition of stinging nettle in English:
A Eurasian nettle covered in minute hairs that inject irritants when they are touched. These include histamine, which causes itching, and acetylcholine, which causes a burning sensation.
- Genus Urtica, family Urticaceae: several species, in particular U. dioica, well established in North America
- In his pasture, edible weeds like dandelion, chicory, quack grass and even stinging nettles are allowed to thrive.
- Milkweed provides food for monarch butterfly larvae and stinging nettles host caterpillars of the red admiral butterfly.
- The creation of the road, however, has made an opening for other kinds of plants, including fescue, bent grasses, myriad leaf, a stinging nettle, western dock, and the colorful fireweed.
Definition of stinging nettle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan