Definition of stingray in English:
A bottom-dwelling marine ray with a flattened diamond-shaped body and a long poisonous serrated spine at the base of the tail.
- Families Dasyatidae (the long-tailed stingrays) and Urolophidae (the short-tailed stingrays): several species, including the long-tailed common stingray (Dasyatis centrourus)
- Eleven of these are of the shark variety, who live in blissful harmony with stingrays, thornback rays, conger eels and dogfish, to name but a few.
- In Australia, bottlenose dolphins place sponges over their snouts as protection from the spines of stonefish and stingrays as they forage over shallow seabeds.
- It included many living groups: stingrays, lungfish, pirarucu, piranha, goliath catfishes, some electric fishes, and cichlids.
Definition of stingray in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan