Definition of stingray in English:
A bottom-dwelling marine ray with a flattened diamond-shaped body and a long poisonous serrated spine at the base of the tail.
- Families Dasyatidae (the long-tailed stingrays) and Urolophidae (the short-tailed stingrays): several species, including the long-tailed common stingray (Dasyatis centrourus)
- Eleven of these are of the shark variety, who live in blissful harmony with stingrays, thornback rays, conger eels and dogfish, to name but a few.
- In Australia, bottlenose dolphins place sponges over their snouts as protection from the spines of stonefish and stingrays as they forage over shallow seabeds.
- It included many living groups: stingrays, lungfish, pirarucu, piranha, goliath catfishes, some electric fishes, and cichlids.
Words that rhyme with stingrayTigray • in-tray • émigré
Definition of stingray in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.