Definition of stinkhorn in English:
A widely distributed fungus that has a tall whitish stem with a rounded greenish-brown gelatinous head that turns into a foul-smelling slime containing the spores.
- Family Phallaceae, class Gasteromycetes: many species, including the common European Phallus impudicus
- The source of the odor - enough to send even the most ardent picnickers packing - is the slimy, greenish brown matrix (seen here on the arms of the stinkhorn), which houses the spores.
- A stinkhorn is perhaps the most repellent fungus there is, which is saying something.
- The service is performed for stinkhorns by flies, which are attracted by the smell of rotting carrion which they emit and which accounts for ‘stink’ in their name.
Definition of stinkhorn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan