A small leaflike appendage to a leaf, typically borne in pairs at the base of the leaf stalk.
More example sentences
- A terminal bud was defined as the stage when the stipules of the foliage leaves covered the shoot apex and the youngest foliage leaf was offset from the central axis of the shoot apex.
- Accumulation of CKs in shoot tissues known for high transpiration, such as guard cells and the mesophyll cells below them, trichomes, hydathodes, stipules, and stigma filaments appears to be reasonable.
- The colleter, an epidermal secretory structure, can be found mainly on the adaxial side of stipules and/or sepals among 60 families of the angiosperms.
late 18th century: from French stipule or Latin stipula 'straw'.
- More example sentences
- Unemerged axillary bud: a bud still completely enclosed by the stipular sheath of its subtending leaf.
- The genus Acacia is mostly confined to Africa where almost all have stipular spines or recurved thorns.
- Scars of early-falling-off stipular sheaths ring the stems of magnolias, Yellow-poplars and Sycamores.
Definition of stipule in:
- The British & World English dictionary