Definition of stoat in English:
A small carnivorous mammal of the weasel family that has chestnut fur with white underparts and a black-tipped tail. It is native to both Eurasia and North America and in northern areas the coat turns white in winter. Also called short-tailed weasel. Compare with ermine, weasel.
- Mustela erminea, family Mustelidae
- A cousin of mink, martens, otters, stoats, weasels and distantly related to seals, badgers are one of our oldest indigenous animals, whose fossil remains have been found to belong to the same era as mammoths.
- The robe is trimmed with ermine, which is the white winter coat of the stoat in northern regions of Europe.
- Mammals such as weasels, foxes, stoats and especially roe deer can wander safely without the risk of being killed by traffic.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Definition of stoat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan