Randomly determined; having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analyzed statistically but may not be predicted precisely.
- Let us now sum up his mathematical contributions which were almost all in the area of mathematical statistics, more precisely stochastic analysis, random processes, regenerative phenomena and mathematical genetics.
- It was heavy duty mathematics at that, involving an obscure technique known as stochastic differential equations.
- He has written on stochastic geometry and its applications, and the statistical theory of shape.
- Example sentences
- To summarize the asymptotic behavior of the stochastically fluctuating allele frequencies, we first iterated the recursions for 500,000 generations starting with random initial allele frequencies and global linkage equilibrium.
- We will outline a simple Fourier space Brownian dynamics algorithm that allows us to stochastically evolve a thermal membrane surface forward in time.
- Each generation new values of these integers are chosen stochastically in accordance with the model.
Mid 17th century: from Greek stokhastikos, from stokhazesthai 'aim at, guess', from stokhos 'aim'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of stochastic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.