Definition of stock dove in English:
A gray Eurasian and North African pigeon that resembles a small wood pigeon and nests in holes in trees.
- Columba oenas, family Columbidae
- In the summer of 2001 I had a first - feeding on spilled grain 20 yards from our garden gate I saw a mixed flock with every species of British dove: Turtledove, stock dove, rock dove, wood pigeon and collared dove.
- Farmland birds that fared particularly well included kestrels, greenfinches and stock doves.
- For six of the 20 ‘farmland species’ included in the DETR index (goldfinch, greenfinch, woodpigeon, whitethroat, jackdaw and stock dove), BTO data shows an increase in population, four by more than 50 percent.
Definition of stock dove in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.