Definition of stock swap in English:
1Acquisition of a company in which payment consists of stock in the buying company.
- Leading storage vendor EMC is paying far more than the $750 million it was rumored to have offered for Legato in March and has announced a $1.3 billion stock swap acquisition.
- The deal would offer a stock swap worth $32 billion that would give EchoStar more than 90% of the U.S. satellite TV market.
- Biogen and IDEC Pharma-ceuticals, two companies looking for cures for cancer and autoimmune disorders, announced plans Monday to merge in a US $6.4 billion stock swap, the latest consolidation in the biotech industry.
2A means of exercising stock options in which shares already owned are traded for a greater number of shares at the exercise price.
- In a bid to dump the Division on current shareholders, a former BHP Steel chief will form a new company and shareholders will be enticed to buy shares with a two-to-one stock swap.
- AOL, which has a market capitalization of twice that of Time Warner, or at least did at the beginning of the day, shareholders of AOL are getting a share-for-share stock swap in this deal.
- He was able to get the employees to agree to a 10% pay reduction in exchange for a stock swap.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India