Definition of stockinette in English:
1A soft, loosely knitted stretch fabric, formerly used for making underwear and now used for cleaning, wrapping, or bandaging.
- Bivalve the cast including all layers of cotton, stockinet, etc. and wrap with ACE wrap.
- Team members spend extra time during draping to ensure each step of the procedure will not be hampered or limited by awkward placement of the drapes, stockinet, suction tip and tubing, and the ESU pencil.
- Hanging in the back porch are the sensory results - smoked ham, bacon and Polish sausage, all covered in stockinette, cheese cloth or muslin.
2 (also stockinette stitch) A knitting stitch consisting of alternate rows of knit (plain) and purl stitch.
- Use an 11-stitch cable with 2 reverse stockinettes and a rib on either side and then 4 stitches of garter stitch.
- I used a stockinette stitch with a twist of double rib and a pretty gusset stitch in super soft 4 ply.
- I'm thinking that my square will be a simple garter stitch with the word ‘love’ in stockinette.
late 18th century: probably an alteration of stocking-net.
Definition of stockinette in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan