Definition of stonechat in English:
A small Old World songbird of the thrush subfamily, having bold markings and a call that sounds like two stones being knocked together.
- Genus Saxicola, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: three or four species, in particular the widespread S. torquata, the male of which has a black head and orange breast
- This companionship extended into early summer when the stonechat family was fed both in and out of the nest by the lonely Dartford.
- Forays off the beaten path led me to a common stonechat, a white wagtail, a plain leaf warbler, and a number of species in the shrike family; great grey shrike, masked shrike, and red-backed shrike.
- Migratory stonechats, Saxicola torquata, established territories as apparent male and female pairs on their wintering grounds in Israel.
Definition of stonechat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.