- A small freshwater fish of the minnow family that uses the hard ridge on its lower jaw to scrape food, especially algae, from rocks.
More example sentences
- Genus Campostoma, family Cyprinidae: several species, including the central stoneroller (C. anomalum) of the eastern and central US, and the Mexican stoneroller (C. ornatum) of the southwestern US and northern Mexico
- Found in both pools and riffles over a sand-gravel substrate, stonerollers require some current.
- As a species, stonerollers are fairly intolerant of silt and disappear from degraded streams.
- As streams become more silt laden, gravel nesting sites become lost, and species like the stoneroller decline.