Definition of stonewort in English:
A freshwater plant with whorls of slender leaves, related to green algae. Many kinds become encrusted with chalky deposits, giving them a stony feel.
- Chara and other genera in the class Charophyceae, division Chlorophyta; sometimes placed in its own division (Charophyta)
- Spirogyra, stoneworts, and desmids are all members of this fresh-water group of ‘green algae’.
- Evidence for this is provided by stoneworts, highly specialised and complex algae that are often called the ‘coal-mine canaries of the plant world’.
- The Charales, commonly known as stoneworts or brittleworts, flourish in fresh and brackish water habitats throughout the world.
Definition of stonewort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan