Definition of stonewort in English:
A freshwater plant with whorls of slender leaves, related to green algae. Many kinds become encrusted with chalky deposits, giving them a stony feel.
- Chara and other genera in the class Charophyceae, division Chlorophyta; sometimes placed in its own division (Charophyta)
- Spirogyra, stoneworts, and desmids are all members of this fresh-water group of ‘green algae’.
- Evidence for this is provided by stoneworts, highly specialised and complex algae that are often called the ‘coal-mine canaries of the plant world’.
- The Charales, commonly known as stoneworts or brittleworts, flourish in fresh and brackish water habitats throughout the world.
Definition of stonewort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.