- An embankment built to prevent a river from flooding.More example sentences
- The same can happen with a dam, but stopbanks are there for flood control, and can be along a river that has no water in it at all for most of the year.
- A section of the stopbank failed upstream from Edgecumbe on July 18, flooding thousands of hectares.
- The mayor said it was not just the replacement of the bridge that would be welcomed, but also the construction of stopbanks and new bridge approaches.
More definitions of stopbankDefinition of stopbank in:
- The British & World English dictionary