(also styrax /ˈstī-/)
Definition of storax in English:
1A rare fragrant gum resin obtained from an eastern Mediterranean tree, sometimes used in medicine, perfumery, and incense.
- Many of today's perfume ingredients such as cassia, cinnamon, sandalwood, styrax, benzoin, jasmine, rose, and so on were used for incense by ancient Chinese, Indian or Egyptian cultures already 5000 years ago.
- The perfume is a blend of peppermint, lavender, patchouli, atlas cedarwood, coffee, styrax, musk and tonka bean.
1.1 (liquid storax) A liquid balsam obtained from the Asian liquidambar tree.
- It is named after the fragrant resin known as liquid storax, which is milked by making cuts in the bark.
- The bark is then pressed in cold water alternating with boiling water, and crude liquid storax obtained from this process is collected.
- This liquid storax has been confused with the storax of antiquity which came from the bark of the Styrax officinalis, a Mediterranean shrub.
2A tropical or subtropical tree or shrub with showy white flowers in drooping clusters.
- Genus Styrax, family Styracaceae: several species, in particular S. officinalis, from which the resin storax is obtained
- Shrubs here are storax, beautyberry, and small-leaf viburnum.
- Its ‘mother’ has always produced zillions of seeds and, until this baby bloomed, there were no other styraxes around.
Definition of storax in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan