Definition of storm center in English:
1The point to which the wind blows spirally inward in a cyclonic storm.
- Though the storm center was 150 miles to the north, the typhoon encompassed an area 600 miles across and 1,200 miles along.
- By keeping track of typhoons and storm centres, and giving advance warning of their approach, the observation achieved world-wide fame in meteorology circles.
- This storm is really far from over, but even though it has been a quick assault we still have a lot of things that we need to worry about, as the storm center itself is already about 65 miles to the north and east of West Palm Beach.
1.1The central point around which controversy or trouble happens.
- The article refers to Jones as a local lawyer who would ‘once again become the storm center of controversy.’
- Lenin, Trotsky and the majority of the Bolsheviks thought this was premature, because outside the storm centre of Petrograd most people would oppose the uprising.
- It was the storm centre of the ‘biennio rosso’ - the two red years that followed the end of the war in 1918.
Definition of storm center in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia