- 1Characterized by poverty: they lived in straitened circumstancesMore example sentences
- Since it itself is only modestly profitable, the new company starts life in straitened circumstances.
- Others who will be exempted from conscription are men doing service, and men in straitened family circumstances, on the basis of a report by the local administration and on application to the Defence Minister.
- It had long been a Chamber priority to secure Cabinet-level representation for Waterford and this has been even more important during the last year given the straitened economic circumstances.
- 2Restricted in range or scope: their straitened horizonsMore example sentences
- The Wyoming refuseniks adapt themselves to these straitened circumstances with a mixture of stoicism, masochism and whimsy, and Proulx follows suit, particularly enjoying fantastical moments.
- I still think the staleness is there and very flattering to people who actually prefer straitened horizons.
- So it is disappointing when one British writer who can stand up to the broad-sweeping visions of international novelists has to watch a writer of more straitened horizons take the plaudits.