noun[usually treated as singular]
A bacterial infection of the upper respiratory tract of horses, causing enlargement of the lymph nodes in the throat, which may impair breathing.
- This disease is caused by the bacterium Streptococcus equi
More example sentences
- As strangles is bacterial and not viral it can only be spread by direct contact with infected mucus.
- The Kentucky Department of Agriculture has lifted its quarantine on a barn at Ellis Park in Henderson after a third round of tests came back negative for the equine bacterial disease strangles.
- A vaccine for strangles, a highly contagious disease caused by the bacteria Streptococcus equi, is now available in England for the first time after 12 years of research.
early 17th century: plural of obsolete strangle 'strangulation', from strangle.
Definition of strangles in:
- The British & World English dictionary