noun (plural stratovolcanoes)
- A volcano built up of alternate layers of lava and ash.More example sentences
- Nevado del Ruiz volcano is an andesite stratovolcano located in the northern Andes of Colombia.
- Between 30 and 40 million years ago, eruptions from a cluster of stratovolcanoes blanketed the area with ash beds and volcanic mud flows, reaching a maximum thickness of 3,000 feet.
- Vesuvius is a stratovolcano that grew within the breached crater of Monte Somma volcano.
More definitions of stratovolcanoDefinition of stratovolcano in:
- The British & World English dictionary