noun (plural streptococci /-ˈkäksī/ /-sē/)
A bacterium of a genus that includes the agents of souring of milk and dental decay, and hemolytic pathogens causing various infections such as scarlet fever and pneumonia.
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- Other agents occasionally implicated are pneumococci, staphylococci, streptococci, and Candida albicans.
- Impetigo is a skin infection that is generally caused by one of two bacteria: Group A streptococcus or Staphylococcus aureus.
- Example sentences
- The pink skin and welts came from an interesting side effect of infection from the streptococcal bacteria that cause strep throat.
- Common bacteria involved in brain abscesses include streptococcal and staphylococcal bacteria.
- It's a mystery why all cases of rheumatic fever occur after a sore throat that was caused by streptococcal bacteria, but only a few cases of strep throat lead to rheumatic fever.
Definition of streptococcus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.