Definition of streptomycete in English:
A bacterium that occurs chiefly in soil as aerobic saprophytes resembling molds, several of which are important sources of antibiotics.
- Streptomyces and related genera, order Actinomycetales; Gram-positive filaments forming chains of spores
- In nature, tetracycline is produced by streptomycetes, moldlike bacteria commonly found in soils.
- The number of genes encoding Nudix hydrolases varies widely, from zero in most Mycoplasma species to around 30 in streptomycetes.
- This applies not only for molecules with an antibiotic activity like in the case of streptomycetes but also for compounds that may play a role in cell processes like signaling and communication.
Definition of streptomycete in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan