Definition of strike someone out or strike out in English:
1 Baseball Put a batter out (or be put out) from play as a batter by means of three strikes.
- He had the edge on me, and he finally struck me out on a high fastball.
- Win or lose, we learn to support the player who struck out or dropped the ball because sooner or later it's going to be us - that's baseball.
- I'd drop the ball or strike out at bat, while the rest of my so-called teammates buried their heads in their hands and groaned.
1.1 (strike out) North American informal Fail or be unsuccessful: the company struck out the first time it tried to manufacture personal computers
More example sentences
- They didn't go back there because they struck out.
- I've struck out in movies and theater, and I don't want to go back to night clubs.
- Instead, he struck out (in my mind) with a pathetic ten-second response to a two-minute question.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.