Definition of strike someone out or strike out in English:
1 Baseball Put a batter out (or be put out) from play as a batter by means of three strikes.
- He had the edge on me, and he finally struck me out on a high fastball.
- Win or lose, we learn to support the player who struck out or dropped the ball because sooner or later it's going to be us - that's baseball.
- I'd drop the ball or strike out at bat, while the rest of my so-called teammates buried their heads in their hands and groaned.
1.1 (strike out) North American informal Fail or be unsuccessful: the company struck out the first time it tried to manufacture personal computers
More example sentences
- They didn't go back there because they struck out.
- I've struck out in movies and theater, and I don't want to go back to night clubs.
- Instead, he struck out (in my mind) with a pathetic ten-second response to a two-minute question.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan