Definition of strike up or strike something up in English:
1(Of a band or orchestra) begin to play a piece of music: they struck up the “Star-Spangled Banner.”
More example sentences
- It began when a band struck up the opening hymn and a huge screen unfurled with a little bouncy ball popping across the words so everyone could sing along.
- There was an awkward silence and then the band began to strike up.
- The band struck up a catchy, fast-paced jazz beat, and Victoria began to sing.
begin to play, start playing
1.1 (strike something up) Begin a friendship or conversation with someone, typically in a casual way.
- You could always strike up a conversation with someone on the mall bench next to you.
- We might strike up a friendship, become pen pals, visit each other.
- They were boisterous but friendly, delighting in striking up friendships with the locals.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan