Definition of stringer in English:
1A longitudinal structural piece in a framework, especially that of a ship or aircraft.
- Longitudinal stringers are fir encased in fiberglass, and athwartship bulkheads are construction-grade exterior plywood.
- Once the stringers and bulkheads are properly located, then starts all the cut-outs and reinforcements for the stabilizers and tailwheel.
- The manufacturer cut the boats' longitudinal frames or stringers to make it easier to install drain lines.
2 informal A newspaper correspondent not on the regular staff of a newspaper, especially one retained on a part-time basis to report on events in a particular place.
- The more you cover local news, the more local people buy newspapers, these stringers said.
- He exhorted the journalists - one staff correspondent and several stringers - to take an injured child to the hospital.
- This news agency of some sort collected stories from stringers or correspondents and passed them on to the paper.
3A side of a staircase, which supports the treads and risers.
- The bottom tread of this stringer must be 1-1/2 in. shorter and the top must be notched around the cleat/cross brace.
- The metal balustrade assemblies bolt to the posts and the staircase's concealed stringer (the painted beam).
- Treads may be set into a dado or nailed to a cleat attached to the side of a stair stringer.
Definition of stringer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan