Definition of stronghold in English:
1A place that has been fortified so as to protect it against attack.
- World War I saw the evolution of a new fortification setup combining field strongholds with fortresses.
- At the same time opposition forces began building fortified strongholds in hard-to-access mountainous areas.
- Iraqi strongholds and fortified areas were sealed off with a part of coalition forces.
1.1A place where a particular cause or belief is strongly defended or upheld: a Republican stronghold
More example sentences
- He has been to Democrat strongholds, Republican bastions and across the battleground states of the Midwest.
- The middle and upper end of the market continues to be a stronghold of independent agencies such as Strutt & Parker and its peers.
- They take in the Thornton & Allerton, and Clayton & Fairweather Green wards, both Tory strongholds in local elections.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.