Definition of strongman in English:
noun (plural strongmen)
1A man of great physical strength, especially one who performs feats of strength as a form of entertainment.
- Ivan ‘the Polish Piledriver’ Putski was a legendary strongman, famous for performing feats of strength prior to matches.
- Namibian strongman Andre du Preez will perform his feats of physical strength for one and half hours before the start of the fireworks.
- Several companies make them, and they're very popular with power-lifters, strongmen and other strength and power athletes.
1.1A leader who rules by the exercise of threats, force, or violence.
- These forces, and the strongmen who control these private and separate armies, could well inherit the kingdom.
- The military strongman rules Taiwan until his death in 1975.
- One way of escaping such dichotomies is to cease thinking about them, replacing this uncomfortable confusion with decisive rule by a strongman.
Definition of strongman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan