- A poisonous substance of the glycoside class, obtained from certain African trees and used as a heart stimulant.
More example sentences
- This substance is obtained from trees of the genera Strophanthus and Acokanthera (family Apocynaceae)
- Strophanthus gratus contains the cardiac glycoside [gamma] strophanthin and the alkaloid inoeine.
- It differs from strophanthin both chemically and physiologically, and is nearly twice as toxic.
- In fact, the discovery of strophanthin in wet African forests propelled pharmacology to a new level of interest in using plant chemicals for human medicines.
late 19th century: from modern Latin strophanthus (from Greek strophos 'twisted cord' + anthos 'flower', referring to the long segments of the corolla) + -in1.
More definitions of strophanthinDefinition of strophanthin in:
- The British & World English dictionary