Definition of strophanthin in English:
A poisonous substance of the glycoside class, obtained from certain African trees and used as a heart stimulant.
- This substance is obtained from trees of the genera Strophanthus and Acokanthera (family Apocynaceae)
- Strophanthus gratus contains the cardiac glycoside [gamma] strophanthin and the alkaloid inoeine.
- It differs from strophanthin both chemically and physiologically, and is nearly twice as toxic.
- In fact, the discovery of strophanthin in wet African forests propelled pharmacology to a new level of interest in using plant chemicals for human medicines.
Definition of strophanthin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.