Definition of strophanthin in English:
A poisonous substance of the glycoside class, obtained from certain African trees and used as a heart stimulant.
- This substance is obtained from trees of the genera Strophanthus and Acokanthera (family Apocynaceae)
- Strophanthus gratus contains the cardiac glycoside [gamma] strophanthin and the alkaloid inoeine.
- It differs from strophanthin both chemically and physiologically, and is nearly twice as toxic.
- In fact, the discovery of strophanthin in wet African forests propelled pharmacology to a new level of interest in using plant chemicals for human medicines.
Definition of strophanthin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India