- A formula that shows the arrangement of atoms in the molecule of a compound. Compare with empirical formula, molecular formula.More example sentences
- Like the molecular formula, the structural formula of a substance gives the exact number of atoms of each element per molecule.
- At its most basic the structural formula is the chemical formula showing the bonds that are present.
- Butene and ethene have the same empirical formula CH 2 but different molecular and structural formulas.
More definitions of structural formulaDefinition of structural formula in:
- The British & World English dictionary