Definition of strum in English:
verb (strums, strumming, strummed)[with object]
1Play (a guitar or similar instrument) by sweeping the thumb or a plectrum up or down across the strings.
- He placed his fingers on some strings, and strummed the instrument.
- He began to strum his guitar strings gently to the tune of ‘Meant For You.’
- I followed the sound of his fingers strumming the guitar strings and his smooth voice singing lyrics that I couldn't understand.
1.1Play (a tune) by strumming the strings of a guitar or similar instrument: he strummed a few chords
More example sentences
- He strummed a slow tune, his rich baritone filling the air.
- I'm strumming a tune on my morin khuur and I'm reading DC Comics Superman / Batman #17.
- Before long he looked up and strummed a little tune like he had at the café when I'd been severely annoyed.
noun[in singular] Back to top
1The sound made by strumming a guitar or similar instrument: the brittle strum of acoustic guitars
More example sentences
- Their conversation was interrupted by a strum on an acoustic guitar.
- The song begins slowly and reflectively, with the solo strum of an acoustic guitar.
- The soft strums from the guitar at times sounded more like a harp.
1.1An act or period of strumming a guitar or similar instrument.
- With a solid 3 / 16th of an inch extending from your fingertips, you can get a nice, authoritative strum going with very little effort.
- I didn't have to wait long before Rowan made a motion with his hand and with a strum of Andy's guitar the song began.
late 18th century: imitative; compare with thrum1.
- Example sentences
- Folky guitar strummers, pop balladeers and jazz groups still prefer quiet, seated audiences.
- As I walked around the outskirts of the mosque, I saw Uighur lute strummers congregating for impromptu performances.
- The spirits of old Delta bluesmen, Appalachian front-porch strummers, and folk troubadors live in a guitar's wooden hole.
Definition of strum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan