Definition of student in English:
1A person who is studying at a school or college.
- The Board agreed that the Applicant should not be permitted to continue as a graduate student of the University.
- Most of those at the cyber cafe were students studying at local universities.
- Twenty-four male and 29 female first-year psychology students participated to earn credit for their course.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting someone who is studying in order to enter a particular profession: a group of student nurses
More example sentences
- Initially the suite will be used to train student doctors and nurses, but will eventually be available to all staff.
- It is my dream to see this column included in the syllabus for student doctors and nurses.
- I suspect LamatDance may be student dancers hoping to pass as professionals.
1.2A person who takes an interest in a particular subject: a student of the free market
More example sentences
- Another example, of more interest to the student of Spinoza, is our knowledge of the validity of an argument.
- Thus this biography will be of interest to any student of the mid-twentieth century South.
- Mr Adams was a keen student of Islamic culture and civilisation, of which he is said to have had a deep understanding.
- (British )Example sentences
- PPARC is government funded to provide research grants and studentships to scientists in British universities.
- Government funded, it provides research grants and studentships to scientists.
- In 1930, the 19-year-old prodigy set sail from Madras to take up a research studentship at Cambridge.
- (British informal )Example sentences
- Director Penny Woolcock has come up with a fundamentally silly and posturing drama which is so studenty it should have its own library card.
- He's the embodiment of a solid, stolid studenty reality principle, Brit middlebrow popcult mediocrity personified.
- But now it seems just a bit gratuitously surreal and studenty.
Late Middle English: from Latin student- 'applying oneself to', from the verb studere, related to studium 'painstaking application'.
Words that rhyme with studentimprudent, jurisprudent, prudent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.