Definition of studio in English:
noun (plural studios)
1A room where an artist, photographer, sculptor, etc., works.
- In the past, these brick relics have seen service as artists' studios, photographers' darkrooms and birdwatchers' huts.
- There she opened Frenchman's Art Gallery and Studios, a cooperative studio and gallery where artists would work in the same space.
- In 1874 Monet's Impression, Sunrise was shown at the first exhibition of a group of independent artists in the studio of the photographer Nadar.
1.1A place where performers, especially dancers, practice and exercise.
- In the practice studio, this exercise lasts thirty minutes and propels performers into a trance.
- Last night at the dance studio, we practiced the rueda.
- Once renovations are complete, the new building will host four spacious dance studios as well as office and storage space.
1.2A room where musical or sound recordings can be made.
- The biggest impact on her early career came when she teamed up with Jon Hendricks and Dave Lambert, and the trio created a new sound in the recording studios.
- The business has been expanded because of its revolutionary way of giving online access to professional recording studios for any amount of work without incurring hourly fees.
- The county has two main professional recording studios, which can be hired by the hour or by the day.
1.3A room from which television or radio programs are broadcast, or in which they are recorded.
- Colleagues say that he has been relying on snatches of food and drink from the hospitality rooms of television studios.
- There is no applause, so perhaps this performance was recorded in the studios for a later broadcast.
- Presenter Everard Davy will host the breakfast programme from the studio in the school and some of the pupils will broadcast live during the programme.
1.4A place where movies are made or produced.
- Over the past three years, Rank has sold off holiday centres, cinemas, nightclubs, pubs and film studios.
- There were seven studios, the cinemas and maybe TV if your film was really popular.
- Tracking is how studios tend to estimate what kind of traction their film has.
2A film or television production company.
- They include senior representatives from all the major film and television studios.
- Now, Burbank is the home to many film and television studios, including NBC, Universal, Disney, Warner Brothers.
- By the immediate pre-war stage, the major film studios were already producing pin-up shots of their stars which were sent out as pre-film release publicity teasers.
3A studio apartment.
- It boasts 75 luxury apartments, ranging from studios to two-bedroomed homes.
- In the first development of its kind, the old Roundthorn Court in Wythenshawe has been gutted and revamped to provide 64 one-bedroomed apartments and eight studios.
- Here, on the site of the former stadium car park, Bryant Homes is building 300 apartments, from studios to three-bedroom flats.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.