- A casing in which material such as greased wool is compressed around a shaft or axle to form a seal against gas or liquid, used for instance where the propeller shaft of a boat passes through the hull.More example sentences
- Check the engine shaft and rudder stuffing boxes for steady leaks and looseness.
- It is very possible for the boat to surge back with the rudder hard over and bend or break the shaft or the stuffing box, leaving you with a catastrophic leak in the middle of a hurricane.
- Other sources of moisture include deck leaks and, in one case, saltwater flying off of the shaft at a leaky stuffing box.
More definitions of stuffing boxDefinition of stuffing box in:
- The British & World English dictionary