Definition of stylist in English:
1A designer of fashionable styles of clothing.
- If you prefer to completely copy the look this is a great style that your favorite stylist can design for you.
- A magnet for visiting stylists seeking inspiration, the market features some of the best vintage Sixties and Seventies clothing to be found anywhere in the world.
- All the designs are a result of careful selection much in advance with the help of the best of stylists and fashion designers in the industry.
- Hairdressers and stylists may know how to cut and style hair, but they need your input when it comes to getting the haircut that will make you irresistible to women, and make you feel great about yourself.
- Though not altogether successful, it had the novelty value of being set in the eccentric subculture of stylists and hairdressing salons.
- Like with any new hairstyle, find a stylist who excels at that kind of look.
2A person whose job is to arrange and coordinate food, clothes, etc. in a stylish and attractive way in photographs or films.
- Tanya Burton chats to the food stylists who know how to make you drool.
- Food stylist and Chef Rory Trovato emphasizes the fun of pizza.
- Since then, I have had no sense of taste or smell, which, as I am a food stylist and writer, has serious implications.
3A person noted for elegant work or performance, in particular.
- The most elegant prose stylist of the Victorian era had no time for lofty language if it was used as a brake on popular devotion.
- The stories themselves are timeless, as is Wodehouse's prose; he was renowned as an elegant stylist.
- He was never an elegant stylist, but the best of his early work showed an economy and an attention to craft that he seems to have abandoned.
3.1A writer noted for taking great pains over the style in which he or she writes.
- McWilliam is perhaps the most under-rated of modern Scottish writers, a cool stylist who has a bigger vocabulary than Samuel Johnson.
- Indeed, the pattern has been revisited and reworked by countless Gothic stylists since Poe.
- There's really no other way to account sympathetically for the publication of this outrageous, absurd literary wreck by one of our time's most remarkable prose stylists.
3.2(In sports or music) a person who performs with style.
- The festival is also playing host to a fabulous range of musical styles and traditions from around the world, everything from emerging Irish classical musicians to electronic music stylists.
- Guitar stylist, benchmark singer, folk-rock star, songwriter and traditional song ambassador Martin Smith takes the crown of Folk Singer of the Year from his wife Norma Waters who won last year.
- Over her 20-year career she has been visually original, a provocative stylist, an intelligent lyricist and a sublime melodist, but she has never been a ground-breaking musician.
Definition of stylist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.