Definition of subcontract in English:
Pronunciation: /ˌsəbkənˈtrakt /[with object]
1Employ a business or person outside one’s company to do (work) as part of a larger project: we would subcontract the translation work out
More example sentences
- Did firm A subcontract the work to firm B?
- He admitted Costain was in discussions with US firms to subcontract work.
- A very reputable and conscientious contractor was reroofing a wood frame condominium building and had subcontracted the work on the torch-applied roof to another firm.
1.1 [no object] (Of a business or person) carry out work for a company as part of a larger project.
- Everyone understands that that's the reality, but it leaves a lot of room for partnering and subcontracting.
- By the early 1980s, they had already established footholds in groceries, liquor stores, dry cleaners, and garment subcontracting.
- Bluesky is now the only dealer in Scotland which can install and service PCs and phones without subcontracting.
Pronunciation: /səbˈkäntrakt /Back to top
A contract for a company or person to do work for another company as part of a larger project.
- The main contractor entered into a subcontract with the defender on the same terms as the main contract.
- These sensor contracts were subsumed as subcontracts by the A&O contract with a single prime contractor having overall system performance responsibility.
- Over 70 per cent of the company's revenues and 54 per cent of orders were from Asia where a majority of the subcontract test houses are located.
Words that rhyme with subcontractabreact, abstract, act, attract, bract, compact, contract, counteract, diffract, enact, exact, extract, fact, humpbacked, hunchbacked, impact, interact, matter-of-fact, pact, protract, redact, refract, retroact, subtract, tact, tract, transact, unbacked, underact, untracked
Definition of subcontract in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan