1Below a critical threshold, in particular.
- The US has not performed a nuclear test in 10 years, although it has conducted at least 17 subcritical tests - the most recent in August - which are allowed under the CTBT.
- At subcritical forward velocities, here less than 0.16 nL / sec, the template predicts that no stable gaits exist.
1.1(In nuclear physics) containing or involving less than the critical mass.
- The most obvious was the gun assembly technique, in which two subcritical masses of enriched uranium were explosively driven and held together until nuclear fission began and was sustained.
- Notwithstanding, the U.S. government continues to possess and maintain approximately 10,000 nuclear weapons, and is conducting an ongoing program of subcritical nuclear testing.
- She watched the reactor output climb until the drive was subcritical.
1.2(Of a flow of fluid) slower than the speed at which waves travel in the fluid.
- At 20°C the solution has a critical point at ionic strengths of ~ 13 mM and becomes increasingly subcritical as the ionic strength is lowered.
Words that rhyme with subcriticalanalytical, apolitical, critical, cryptanalytical, diacritical, eremitical, geopolitical, hypercritical, hypocritical, political, socio-political
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of subcritical in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.