Ready to conform to the authority or will of others; meekly obedient or passive.
- Dee believed the Angels to be obedient servants of God, submissive to the authority of Christ.
- He shows that slaves who seemed submissive and passive were cleverly using the language of their masters and subverting it to their own ends.
- Basically, I would be much more passive, submissive and altruistic.
compliant, yielding, acquiescent, unassertive, passive, obedient, biddable, dutiful, docile, pliant;
informal under someone's thumb
- Example sentences
- It means publicly reprimanding politicians who insist that ‘as Americans’ we should submissively yield to whatever the Supreme Court decides.
- Her Majesty sits squat on her throne, her head crowned, a sceptre in one hand, an orb in the other, and two lions stretch submissively at the imperial feet while she stares with bronze eyes at the distant horizons of Empire.
- When I arrived at the enclosures, he was inside, crouched submissively alongside a huge silver-backed male.
Late 16th century: from submission, on the pattern of pairs such as remission, remissive.
Words that rhyme with submissivemissive, omissive, permissive
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.