The action of replacing someone or something with another person or thing: the substitution of pediatricians for grandmothers in guiding baby care a tactical substitution
More example sentences
- In an act of substitution he replaces barren dryness with his fertile fluidity.
- There is no other member of the club who can currently replace him, and that showed after his substitution.
- At the same time, he raises the issue of substitution and exchange in a social and economic sphere.
- Example sentences
- For simplicity the interstitial elements carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, boron, and hydrogen will be referred to as contaminants, and the substitutional elements, intentionally added, will be referred to as alloying elements.
- This is in contrast to recently published reports in which good performance of reconstruction methods was recorded despite extensive substitutional saturation.
- Under the substitutional theory of artifact production, the forgeries of documents so common in the Middle Ages can be understood as the legitimate reproduction of accidentally misplaced facts.
- Example sentences
- This is not a point that popular evangelical preaching makes well, which tends all too often to see a merely human Jesus being afflicted (in a substitutionary, transactional kind of way) with the total anger of God above.
- If He was there in my stead, as my representative, doing business for me, then, the agony that He endured in the substitutionary process is the agony that I must endure in hell, if I refuse to allow Him to substitute for me.
- It affirms the plenary inspiration and inerrancy of the Holy Scriptures, original sin, substitutionary atonement and justification by faith.
Words that rhyme with substitutionablution, absolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, retribution, Rosicrucian, solution, volution
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.