Definition of subterranean in English:
1Existing, occurring, or done under the earth’s surface.
- This three-dimensional complex of surface closed depressions, subterranean conduits, caves, and springs is known as karst terrain.
- These drainages envelop the ephemeral wet surfaces and subterranean systems that rarely hold a diverse molluscan fauna.
- Even after all that, there is still a vast reservoir of subterranean water inside the earth.
1.1Secret; concealed: the subterranean world of the behind-the-scenes television powerbrokers
More example sentences
- Expertly juggling pathos and humour, Baumbach has created a queasy tug-of-war between surface civility and subterranean resentment.
- Credulous undergraduates fall prey to priestly performers who claim to be initiating them into the subterranean mysteries.
- In other words, this tradition suggests a subterranean relationship between pleasure and austerity.
- Example sentences
- They alter human beings and human relationships, subterraneously for the most part, sometimes quite openly and directly.
- The Queen Victoria Building is connected subterraneously with Pitt Street which is also a great place to do your shopping.
- Politics and culture juxtapose to unravel a world of tourism and the seething violence and corruption subterraneously and silently hovering in the air.
Definition of subterranean in:
- British & World English dictionary