Definition of subumbrella in English:
The concave inner surface of the umbrella of a jellyfish or other medusa.
- These rhopalial ganglia presumably sort this information and then distribute it to the appropriate effectors, the swim musculature, via the distributed nerve net of the subumbrella.
- From the center of the subumbrella hangs the manubrium, which terminates with a mouth opening.
- Hydromedusae swim by rhythmically contracting the circular swimming muscles located in the subumbrella.
- Example sentences
- Yet another hypothesis for the origin of the mesoderm from the subumbrellar epithelium of a hydrozoan medusa buds has been recently advanced.
- The nervous system can be divided into three functional parts: the sensory clubs or rhopalia, the conducting nerve ring, and the motor nerve net underlying the subumbrellar epithelium.
- Ding further described Sanxiamedusa and Maopingimedusa from Doushantuo black shales at Miaohe and interpreted them as medusae based on claimed subumbrellar radial canals and tentacles.
Definition of subumbrella in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.