Definition of subvocalize in English:
Utter (words or sounds) with the lips silently or with barely audible sound, especially when talking to oneself, memorizing something, or reading.
- ‘Obviously not a very efficient one,’ subvocalised Jacob.
- Despite all my training, subvocalizing into a throat mike was very different after the changes reinforcing my mouth and neck.
- As she left, she subvocalized, ‘I can talk, Reddie.’
- Example sentences
- In addition to subvocalization, reading also involves two other processes, translation and placement.
- Oddly, a number of researchers have reported that these subvocalisations are associated with audible speech.
- I never, ever, was able to suspend disbelief about subvocalization when reading science fiction.
Definition of subvocalize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia