Definition of sudorific in English:
Relating to or causing sweating.
- Sarsaparilla has a reputation as a ‘depurative’, a diuretic and sudorific drug.
- In Peruvian herbal medicine the plant is believed to be sudorific, cicatrizant, astringent, stomachic, stimulant, febrifuge, antidiarrhetic, and anti-tumorous.
- Perfused skin was observed to sweat in response to administration of sudorific drugs, and some features of the patterns of sweating were similar to those which could be induced by heating or by drugs in conscious animals.
nounBack to top
A drug that induces sweating.
- He prescribed the use of diuretics, sudorifics, purgatives, the absorption of pure wine and hot baths.
- Furthermore, in ancient days people believed that many poisons can get excreted through the sweat, so to treat any poisoning, doctors recommended sudorifics.
- Diaphoretics differ from sudorifics; the former only increase the insensible perspiration, the latter excite the sensible discharge called sweat.
Definition of sudorific in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan