(also sugarcane /ˈSHo͝oɡərˌkān/)
Definition of sugar cane in English:
A perennial tropical grass with tall stout jointed stems from which sugar is extracted. The fibrous residue can be used as fuel, in fiberboard, and for a number of other purposes.
- Genus Saccharum, family Gramineae: several species, in particular S. officinarum and its hybrids
- However, the economy is primarily agrarian, with principal crops of rice, sugar cane, maize, and wheat.
- On the Pacific Coast they grow rice, cotton, sugar cane, and barley for sale.
- Like all grasses, sugar cane has a jointed stem, and its leaves and branches come from the shoots at each joint.
Definition of sugar cane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan