nounChemistry , • dated
- Lead acetate, a soluble white crystalline salt.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: Pb(CH3CO2)2
- It shouldn't have been, but white lead was used to make bread whiter and sugar of lead to make wine sweeter.
- Litharge and sugar of lead are used to-day only rarely as drying agents, having been displaced by the liquid manganese siccatives, which are easy to handle.
- Unlike most other salts, this type of lead acetate has a sweet rather than a salty taste, resulting in its sometimes being called sugar of lead and its use in ancient Rome as a wine sweetener.
mid 17th century: so named for its sweet taste.
More definitions of sugar of leadDefinition of sugar of lead in:
- The British & World English dictionary