1A man who pursues a relationship with a particular woman, with a view to marriage.
- Though the young duchess was only ten years of age, it would not be long before she would be receiving suitors and entertaining marriage proposals.
- The weakest part of her performance comes in her relationship with the four suitors and in the delivery of the Rose Adagio and here it might be worth a comparison with Makarova herself.
- As a result of the removal of romance from marriage, suitors are judged, not by their love for a woman, but by how well they can provide for her.
1.1A prospective buyer of a business or corporation.
- For prospective suitors keen to expand in Europe's largest economy, however, Commerz is sized just about right.
- The bank found other prospective suitors, which ultimately jacked up the price.
- The company had already met with suitors interested in a buyout or strategic partnership, but could not find a good match on price or philosophy.
Words that rhyme with suitoraccoutre (US accouter), commuter, computer, disputer, looter, neuter, pewter, polluter, recruiter, refuter, rooter, saluter, scooter, shooter, souter, tooter, transmuter, tutor, uprooter
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.