(chiefly British also sulphanilamide)
- A synthetic compound with antibacterial properties that is the basis of the sulfonamide drugs.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: p-aminobenzenesulfonamide; chemical formula: (H2N)C6H4(SO2NH2)
- An early miss concerned the antibacterial properties of sulfanilamide, which were overlooked for more than 20 years, notably by chemists at I.G. Farbenindustrie who patented the recently synthesized compound in 1909.
- The colorimetric determination of the reaction was achieved by adding 1 ml of sulphanilamide and 1 ml of aqueous 10 mM N - 1-naphthyl-ethylene-diamine-dihydrochloride.
- After 10 or 20 min of incubation at 26°C, the reaction was stopped by the addition of an equal volume of sulphanilamide.
More definitions of sulfanilamideDefinition of sulfanilamide in:
- The British & World English dictionary