(chiefly British also sulphide)
- A binary compound of sulfur with another element or group.More example sentences
- Most pure metals, when freshly cut to expose a new surface, are lustrous, but most lose this luster quickly by combining with oxygen, carbon dioxide or hydrogen sulfide to form oxides, carbonates or sulfides.
- DOCs include all compounds of carbon except for its oxides, sulphides and metal carbonates if they are identifiable by chemical name.
- The technique can identify iron-bearing phases (such as oxides, silicates, sulfides, sulfates, and carbonates), as well as the amount of iron in each phase and the presence of iron in various oxidation states.
More definitions of sulfideDefinition of sulfide in:
- The British & World English dictionary