(chiefly British also sulphonamide)
- Any of a class of synthetic drugs, derived from sulfanilamide, that are able to prevent the multiplication of some pathogenic bacteria.More example sentences
- This has been shown to occur with penicillin, valproic acid, quinidine, sulfonamides, cimetidine and heparin.
- The authors did not mention whether additional therapy could be used or how acute relapse was managed, although they prohibited patients from using antibiotics, sulfonamides, or steroids at entry to the study.
- Drugs that have been implicated include penicillin, aminopenicillins, sulfonamides, allopurinol, thiazides, quinolones, hydantoins, and propylthiouracil.
More definitions of sulfonamideDefinition of sulfonamide in:
- The British & World English dictionary